My Strength to His Strength

For years I spent in bible study, learning to have spiritual feet and building spiritual muscle.  I married a Christian young man with a call to ministry on his life.  Together we were blessed with seven children, six boys and one girl.  We spent fourteen wonderful years building a church and raising our children.  I grew and stretched my wings finding out how far I could fly.  Moving from the city to the country brought a sense of new beginnings, adventure and the unexpected.  The culture, values and priorities were so different living there.  In 1989, we experienced a major attack that caused a break up of our church and it opened a door for the enemy to try to destroy our family.  So the country was like a breath of fresh air or was it?  To some degree, it was like going back in time.  We pastored a little country church.  Sunday morning consisted of a wonderful elderly lady who played the hymns on the organ and sometimes the atmosphere seemed like an episode of ‘Little House on the Prairie.’  A night out with my husband was a cup of coffee on our porch.  I would teach Sunday school and play my Omni chord to help lead worship.  During a short time of about one year, we faced much uncertainty.  Rumors were spread and lies were told to bring what was left of our lives to come crashing to the ground.  Where do you go and how do you fight a spiritual battle that follows you and will not give up?  There seemed to be no way out.  Our only desire was to stay together and beat this thing.  My husband offered to step down from the church to keep them from entering this battle.  They would not hear of it and continued to love and respect him as their pastor.  Where were we going to end up?  I would play my harp in the evening praising God till the midnight hour.  My family was the walking wounded and all I had to offer was my praise to God.  So many nights I spent filling the house with praise, tears and prayer.  Lord Please Help!  

Then one beautiful Saturday, August 24, 1991, we planned a trip to the city to pick up our car that was being fixed and buy school clothes for our children.  We made it just to the corner of that old country road and Suddenly our lives would be changed forever.  My husband, I and all seven children were in a terrible car accident, which claimed the life of my husband and my second oldest son.  There was screaming and groaning in the car, moments of going in and out of consciousness.  I could hear, but not respond to anyone.  I was helpless, grieving, homeless.  A huge hole in my heart.  The pain too much to bear.  From this day forward, I would need a new strength, one that would move me from the face of death to the promise of life.  No longer was my strength enough to pull me through, yet the hand of God would hold me, lead me and wipe every tear away.  

This is a small portion of a bigger picture.  The best is yet to come.  God is so good and has taught me to hear His voice and follow His lead.  Now His strength has and will continue to be perfect in my weakness.

Signed,
His Strength

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Icons