From the Pit to the Rock


Lord, please give me the words to write so that they will be relevant to others, that there would be soul stirring. The love and gratitude I have for Jesus is more than words can say. I pray my life would be just a pinch of thankfulness to Him. 

My favorite Scripture is Psalms 18. I know God wrote it with me on His mind. He knew I would need to read it at some point in my life. He knows our beginnings from our end and all the in betweens. Here is why this particular Psalm is my favorite:

Verse 1 – The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer. My God is my rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn (which means strength) of my salvation and my stronghold.
I would not want to imagine my life today without the privilege of being able to take refuge in my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my God.

Verse 2 – I call to the Lord, whom is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
But what if your enemy is the very one you love? My husband was an abusive alcoholic whose action of opening another can sent my children fleeing to their rooms, and me feeling as though I wanted to hide from him as well. I prayed God would forgive me for allowing my children to live in this environment, being too afraid to leave. Although my husband never hit the kids, the emotional damage to them was just as significant as my bruises.

Verse 4 – The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.
This is how one feels when they are living in these circumstances. I can’t tell you in these few words the horror that existed for me and my children. One can only imagine, BUT GOD!

Verse 6 – In my distress, I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple he heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into His ears.
The Lord heard my cry with His ears. It is amazing to know that He’s listening to me. He was waiting for me to call on Him so He could come to my rescue. He is a warrior ready to battle any enemy that comes against us. So what did He do?

Verse 9 – He parted the heavens and came down.
Verse 13 – The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies.

Verse 16 – He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemies.
My soul stirs as I write this, to know that the Lord came to me, took me in His arms to comfort and protect me while he battled my enemy. He said, “Its okay, my daughter, I’m here. Everything will be alright.” To know that He loves me that much brings tears to my eyes. Knowing I was drowning, He pulled me out of the deep waters. I tried for years to work this out on my own. I never succeeded for this reason:

Verse 30 – As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock, except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
This is why I couldn’t fight this situation on my own. It wasn’t my battle, it was God’s and He was just waiting for my call.

My husband is sober now, the abuse has stopped, and healing is taking place. Although it is a long journey for all of us, I know God is with me every step of the way. And because of who He is in my life, the lives of my children, and because of all He has done and continues to do…

Verse 49 – Therefore I will praise You among the nations, O Lord; I will sing praises to Your name. He gives his king (which is us) great victories; he shows unfailing kindness to His anointed, to David, and his descendants forever.
My God, words are not enough to tell of Your grace. Thank you, Lord!

Signed,
The Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Icons